Yale aspires to be the most student-focused research university in the world. We will achieve that vision through a distinctive commitment among our faculty to teaching, close engagement with students, and by ensuring that all students are prepared and able to take full advantage of their educational programs and of the extraordinary strengths and assets of a preeminent university that is unified, innovative, and accessible.
All undergraduate, graduate, and professional students and scholars will have a Yale experience that enables them to
- To succeed in, and take maximum advantage of, the academic programs in which they are enrolled to develop intellectually, professionally, and personally;
- Explore the breadth of their intellectual curiosity, the depth of their humanity, and the rigor of purposeful scholarship or creative practice;
- Take responsibility for their personal growth and development, seeking well-being and balance in their lives;
- Cultivate their connections to others, the University community, New Haven, our society, and the larger world; and,
- Prepare for a lifetime characterized by learning, service, and ethical conduct.
Mission and Guiding Principles
Yale’s mission states:
“Yale is committed to improving the world today and for future generations through outstanding research and scholarship, education, preservation, and practice. Yale educates aspiring leaders worldwide who serve all sectors of society. We carry out this mission through the free exchange of ideas in an ethical, interdependent, and diverse community of faculty, staff, students, and alumni.”
Supporting that mission defines the purpose of Student Life—to define, develop, and support a Yale student experience that enables all students to take full advantage of their educational programs.
Student Life professionals across the university focus on both the university’s mission and an ethic of care, concern, and service to students; we work in partnership with faculty and other staff, facilitate the development of a welcoming, inclusive, and engaging community that supports all students in making progress toward their educational and personal goals .We seek collaborative solutions to systemic challenges to students’ health and well-being.