Duplicate or Replacement Diploma

While no graduate has the right to a duplicate diploma, the Secretary of the University may, at his or her discretion, authorize the issuance of a replacement in certain limited cases. For example, the Secretary has issued a duplicate diploma in some instances of loss or damage to the original. If the diploma is lost, the person requesting the duplicate must certify on the Application for Duplicate Diploma that the replacement will be returned if the original is ever found. The duplicate diploma, when printed, will be marked “iteratum.” No duplicate will be printed until at least one year has elapsed since the loss unless the original is known to have been destroyed by fire, flood, or similar cause. If the original diploma is damaged, the applicant must return as much of the diploma as can be salvaged.

When requesting a duplicate or replacement diploma, please note the following:

All applicants for a replacement or duplicate diploma must complete and return an Application for Duplicate Diploma.

Verification of your signature by a Notary Public is required.

The applicant for a replacement diploma must provide a statement regarding the loss of or damage to the original that is satisfactory to the Secretary.

Damaged originals must be returned to the Office of the Secretary.

Applicants seeking a replacement for a lost diploma must agree to return the replacement if the original is found.

Duplicate diplomas will be processed upon receipt of the completed application form and its attachments, including a money order (checks will not be accepted) in the amount of $150.00 (payable to Yale University) to cover printing and handling costs. Please allow approximately 3-6 months after you have placed your order for printing of the new diploma. Applications received from April 1st - July 1st may require additional processing time.

Expedited processing (4 weeks) is available for an additional $100.00.

If you would like the document returned to you by express courier, please provide a prepaid FedEx return slip or include an additional amount of $25.00 for domestic shipping; $65.00 for international shipping.

*Email confirmation will be sent when the diploma is mailed.

Diplomas have also been issued in a changed name under the following conditions:

A certified copy of the appropriate legal document must be filed with the Office of the Secretary.

A court order.

In the case of marriage, a copy of the marriage license.

In the case of dissolution of marriage and return to the family (original) name, a copy of the court document granting the dissolution and a copy of a birth certificate.

The original diploma must be returned to this office.

The new diploma will be issued on the form currently in use with the date of the original diploma.

In the lower margin of the new diploma the following will be added in Latin: “This document replaces one previously issued. See statement on reverse.” The statement on the reverse reads: “This diploma was originally issued in the name of _______ which on _______ was changed to _______.”

Download Application for Duplicate Diploma