Frequently Asked Questions

The official Latin diplomas for degrees conferred at May Commencement are distributed at a separate ceremony in each residential college and professional school. Diplomas for the Graduate School are presented in Woolsey Hall and Horchow Hall.

Diploma Pick up Request
Following Commencement in May, students who did not receive their diploma at the Commencement ceremony may pick it up by appointment on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday between the hours of 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. Please complete and submit the 
Diploma Request Form to schedule an appointment. Identification must be shown when picking up a diploma. To receive diplomas, graduates must have paid all debts to the University in full.

Diploma Mailing Request
Students who do not expect to attend Commencement and would like to have their diploma mailed must go to the SIS Web page and insert a diploma mailing address by April 10, 2017. If your address changes after April 10, please complete and submit the Diploma Request Form with instructions for mailing the diploma. May 2017 diplomas will be mailed after July 1, 2017.

Law degrees conferred in May 2017 will be mailed after July 1, 2017.

Diploma Dimensions: 12.5 x 10.375

Diploma frames are available at The Yale Bookstore.

A sample translation is available on the Diplomas Website. If you require an official translation, please complete an Application for Translation.

No, the Office of the Secretary provides an official English translation of the diploma.

No, an original, signed and notarized application is required to process all diploma related requests. If expedited service is required, please forward the application by express delivery and mail to:  Office of the Secretary, Diplomas, 105 Wall Street, Woodbridge Hall, New Haven, CT 06511.

It is the policy of the Office of the Secretary to mail all diploma related documents. Scanning and emailing of documents is not allowed. Express delivery is available for an additional fee.

Notary services are available at most banking and financial institutions. You can also contact your local town hall, city hall or county courthouse to locate a notary.  

Notary Services are available at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad. It is also possible to have a document notarized by a foreign notary and authenticated for use in the United States.

If you prefer to pay by credit card, please include a note on the application. Credit card payments are processed by telephone, and Visa and MasterCard are accepted.

An official transcript is available online through the National Student Clearinghouse. A request for a notarized transcript can be included in the “special instructions” section of the application. Alternatively, you may email with the order number to request notarization of the transcript.